[Samba] Posix acls problem

Ed Stoner ed at whsd.k12.pa.us
Fri Apr 4 14:24:31 GMT 2003

I'd very much appreciate some help with a rather major problem I'm having.
I have a Dell 6450 quad Xeon Processor machine with 8GB of RAM and 1TB
of disk (RAIDed with an Adaptec 5400S RAID controller).  It is running
samba (2.2.8) to server up files to around 2300 Windows 2000 machines.
The machine was originally installed and configured around September 2002.
It had been running fine for a number of months until we setup Folder
Redirection in user's Win2000 remote profiles (we directed all of the
folders in their profile (desktop, nethood, etc.) to folders on the samba
server).

As soon as this change was propagated throughout our network the
samba server began to crash regularly.  At first it appeared to be a
problem with passthru authentication to the Domain Controller (with
security = domain).  After a large amount of authentication requests in a
short period of time the domain controller started to send corrupted
The server ran without error for around a week.

We have again started to experience daily crashes, and I am unable to find
the cause of the problem.  It is the case, though, that all of the crashes
are preceded by copius logging.  The following is logged at least 25 times
per second (sometimes for many hours) before the system crashes:

Apr  4 07:57:32 zeus smbd[3328]:   create_canon_ace_lists: unable to map SID S-1-5-21-713062547-131866000-281947949-4971 to uid or gid.
Apr  4 07:57:32 zeus smbd[3328]: [2003/04/04 07:57:32, 0] smbd/posix_acls.c:create_canon_ace_lists(1018)

Sometimes the system completely locks up and needs to be power cycled.
Sometimes I am able to just restart smbd to fix the problem.

Any insights anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ed Stoner
Network Administrator
Woodland Hills School District