[Samba] "read failure for 9848" ?

Bjarni Gautason bg at os.is
Fri Apr 4 08:47:39 GMT 2003

HI all.
I have an IBM XP Pro that communicates (LAN) with several local and remote
Unix machines. Communication via Samba is very sluggish and I have no clue
as to why (who is at fault).  Saving a small (125 kb) Excel file to the
local Unix can take several seconds a may result in failure (delayed write
failure).  Copying files from remote Unix machines to the local one using
Windows Explorer often results in failure.
Windows will typically give error messages that are easy to read but give
no real information. Samba recorded the following during a failure to copy
files from one Unix machine to another (remote to local) using Windows
Explorer on the XP:

lib/util_sock.c:(436) read_data: read failure for 9848. Error = Connection
reset by peer

Is there any info in this report that explains what could be going on (i.e.
what does "c:(436)" and "for 9848" refer to)?

Thank you

Bjarni Gautason
Akureyrasetur Orkustofnunar
og Háskólinn á Akureyri
Rangárvöllum, P.O.Box 30
602 Akureyri

Farsími 893-0559        Sími    460-1382
Tölvup. bg at os.is        Fax     460-1381

http://www.os.is/disclaimer.html