[Samba] Samba, Passwd, LDAP auth

drgn65 at ufl.edu drgn65 at ufl.edu
Fri Apr 4 03:53:16 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have searched all over and I am at a deep loss.

I have Openldap setup and it works fine holding users and is searchable,
etc.
I have samba setup to auth via LDAP and it works.
I can NOT for the life of me get system password stuff to work.

The strange thing is, that my "testuser" can telnet to the computer and
login and can login with samba fine.  I can not ssh into the computer, with
the "testuser" or access the imap server or su to "testuser."

I have absolutely no idea what I am missing.  I have asked this question on
linuxquestions.org forum.  I know this is primarly a linux question. I am
tapped out at this point.  I am running RedHat 8.

Here is my /etc/pam.d/system-auth which is edited to look like the example
on http://samba.idealx.org

#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

account     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so
account     sufficient    /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

password    required      /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5
shadow
password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_ldap.so use_authtok
password    required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so
session     optional      /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

As far as I can tell, I only need to edit /etc/pam.d/system-auth to make all
PAM applications work in RedHat 8.  I edited my /etc/nsswitch.conf to look
at 'ldap' for  passwd,groups,shadow.

Thank you for any help!
Peter Shull