[Samba] nmbd question

khobar pnixon18 at cox.net
Thu Apr 3 01:29:04 GMT 2003

Thanks,

After checking network parameters on all systems as suggested, I turned to
my wireless LAN configuration after noticing something funny with the way it
initialized. For some reason the wireless LAN apparently was initializing
with a combination of old and new drivers. I have resolved that, and it
would appear that I may, just may, have also resolved the Samba issue. First
of all, Network Neighborhood has stayed up all day through various power
cycles of the laptop. I also have NOT received any node status messages
relating to the laptop being a Browse Master (it is not!). I also have
received few WEP/deWEP errors since this morning.

> Now please confirm that ALL your MS Windows clients TCP/IP configuration
> has the IP addres of the samba server added to the WINS address.

Done. They were properly configured but I checked just to be sure.

> Why are you using SHARE mode security? This alone will give you problems
> with WinXP. Suggest you use USER mode security.

I'm using SHARE mode as I seem to recall having some problems with a Win95
laptop with a Samba configuration from a long time ago and just have kept
it. I will experiment with changing it to USER.

> >         passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n
*ReType*new*UNIX*password*
> > %n\n
> >         unix password sync = Yes
> >         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> >         max log size = 50
> >         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
> >         printcap name = lpstat
>
> printcap name = CUPS
>
> Means your cups printers are directly available. The printer share
> [HP812C] is not needed then.

Thank you. I'll remove the [HP218C] share, but please tell me what changing
the printcap name does. I have an entry "printing = cups" and the print
command is lpr-cups. Please clarify.

All the best,

Paul Nixon