[Samba] What's the best method - probably simple

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Wed Apr 2 16:26:06 GMT 2003

On Monday, March 31, 2003 4:52 PM Barry, Christopher wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	I'm testing out a pdf printer script I'm writing on a
> live samba system. I modify the script, but my changes do not
> seem to show up when I print. It seems like samba is caching
> the script. I do not want to restart samba (I'm guessing that
> will disconnect people), but I want to force samba to re-read
> the new script. I'm guessing I can HUP whatever smb process
> is open for the printer, but I'm not real sure how to find it.

Each time a job has finished spooling to samba, the destination of your
print command path for that print share will be run as is.  If you
change the contents of your "print command" script, the changes are
effective immediately.  The only thing that's really "cached" here per
se is the path specified by print command (not the contents of the file
itself).  What leads you to believe that samba is running an older copy
of the script?  And yup, if you do change the path or anything else in
smb.conf and samba appears to have not "noticed", a HUP to the parent
smbd process will force samba to reread its configuration file without
dropping active connections.

~ Daniel

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.