[Samba] Copying profiles to a new samba server

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Apr 2 16:08:18 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Jean-Rene Cormier wrote:

> Well I had to set up Samba on a new server and everything seem to went
> pretty well for the most part but now when I try to log on the domain it
> gives me an error message saying it couldn't load the profile on the
> server.
>
> What I did was set up new server with pretty much the same
> configuration, then one evening when there was nobody here I copied all
> the profiles and other stuff from the old server to the new one and now
> the profiles don't work. Any ideas?

Yes. The profiles (in particular the NTUser.DAT file) are keyed to the
domain and user SIDs. Samba-3 will has a tool called 'profiles' that
allows you to change the SIDs to those on the local domain.

The only way you can solve your problem now is to find out the SID for the
old domain and change the new controller SID to it. You can use smbpasswd
with the -S DOMAIN and -W SID options.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra