[Samba] WINS

Chris Smith chris at realcomputerguy.com
Wed Apr 2 15:00:20 GMT 2003

Most MS OS's systems either use the DNS/hosts system very poorly or not
at all for NetBIOS name resolution. In place of DNS/hosts is
WINS/lmhosts. WINS is the dynamic, centralized version of an lmhosts
file and is to lmhosts as DNS is to hosts. Without the use of WINS or
lmhosts files NetBIOS name resolution is done via broadcasts. There's
some info on my website (I put this together a long time ago - before
Win2k existed) with some example lmhosts files as well:
http://realcomputerguy.com/networksetup.htm#hosts .