[Samba] Login from win2k client to samba PDC

Markus PISTAUER (CISC) m.pistauer at cisc.at
Wed Apr 2 10:58:57 GMT 2003

I have joined my win2k client machines (win2k professional or win2k
professional server) to my PDC. This worked fine and I did all recommended
as e.g. in the HOWTO
http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba/samba-pdc.html#joining.

So far I can also login localy to the win2k client machines using a local
account and connect a network drive from the PDC using a valid account on
the PDC (as given in the "smbpasswd" file)

I have done all major steps:

passwd file:
	added users and machine accounts (as user <machine>$)
smbpasswd file:
	added users with 'smbpasswd -a <user>'
	added machines with 'smbpasswd -a <machine>
	added user 'root' to smbpasswd
smb.conf:
	all the necessary settings done (I can post the smb.conf if requested)

The problem:
------------
If I try to login on the domain using the win2k client machine (selecting
the domain instead of the local machine name the login window) I cannot
connect to the domain and get the error message:
   The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's
   computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password on
   that account is incorrect

My environments settings:
I'm using Samba 2.2.5 (release 160), win2k prof with SP3 or no SP, classic
authentication on the PDC. Linux Kernel is 2.4.19 (Build 174).
I have also tried 2.2.8 with same failure.

Any help would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks

Markus Pistauer
mailto:m.pistauer at cisc.at