[Samba] winbindd problems

Gavin Hamill gdh at acentral.co.uk
Wed Apr 2 10:33:59 GMT 2003

Hi there :)

I've recently been playing with winbindd and squid and have achieved
success thanks to hints from the kind folks on the squid mailing list.

I have now gone to transfer this new knowledge to another system, but
have come up against a small problem...

I'm using Samba 2.2.7a on Debian woody,

cjhiggins:~# wbinfo -p
'ping' to winbindd succeeded
cjhiggins:~# wbinfo -t
Secret is good
cjhiggins:~# wbinfo -u
0xc0000022
cjhiggins:~# wbinfo -g
0xc0000022

yet...

cjhiggins:~# wbinfo -a gdh%blahblah
plaintext password authentication succeeded
challenge/response password authentication succeeded

The goal here is to bring back a list of groups, because I need to
attach different levels of internet access to members of different NT
groups.

My /etc/nsswitch.conf contains:

passwd:         compat winbind
group:          compat winbind

at the top, and 'getent passwd' doesn't show anything except
the contents of /etc/passwd.

>From googling, I have found that 0xc0000022 means
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED, but I'm not sure how or why, given that the
Linux machine is listed in the Active Directory Users and Computers
control panel, and the smbpasswd commandline to join the domain returned
successfully.

The only thing I can think of is the 'testbed' I used was a Win2000
machine that I converted to use Active Directory, and made sure to
select the 'compatibility with NT4 servers' option.  However,
on this customer site, there are only Win2000 clients, so I'm guessing
the server was set to 'Win2000 only mode' with the apparent enhanced
security that provides.

I've googled and read helpfiles, but have not been able to find a
solution to this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,
Gavin.