[Samba] Difficulty with Samba 2.2.8 and native CUPS PS drivers

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Apr 2 09:20:10 GMT 2003

David F. Severski davidski-samba at deadheaven.com

> Tue Apr 1 15:53:11 GMT 2003
>

> On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 01:21:41AM +0200, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>> One quick (new) thought, though:
>>
>> What is the PPD you use for the Canon_BJC like? Can you post the output of
>> "head -n 40 /etc/cups/ppd/Canon_PJC.ppd" (or some more or less lines, to
>> show
>> the PPD header)?
>
> Here are the first 40 lines of that file:
>
> *PPD-Adobe: "4.3"
> *%
> *% For information on using this, and to obtain the required backend
> *% script, consult http://www.linuxprinting.org/ppd-doc.html
> *%
> *% PPD-O-MATIC generated this PPD file. It is for use with all programs
> *% and environments which use PPD files for dealing with printer capabilty
> *% information. The printer must be configured with a Foomatic backend
> *% filter script. This file and the backend filter script work together to
> *% support PPD-controlled printer driver option access with arbitrary free
> *% software printer drivers and printing spoolers.
> *%
> *% You may save this file as 'Canon-BJC-2110-gimp-print-ijs.ppd'
> *%
> *%
> *FormatVersion:	"4.3"
> *FileVersion:	"1.1"
> *LanguageVersion: English
> *LanguageEncoding: ISOLatin1
> *PCFileName:	"GIMP-PRI.PPD"
> *Manufacturer:	"Canon"
> *Product:	"(BJC-2110)"
> *cupsVersion:	1.0
> *cupsManualCopies: True
> *cupsModelNumber:  2
> *cupsFilter:	"application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 cupsomatic"
> *ModelName:     "Canon BJC-2110, Foomatic + gimp-print-ijs"
> *ShortNickName: "Canon BJC-2110, gimp-print-ijs"
> *NickName:      "Canon BJC-2110, Foomatic + gimp-print-ijs"

These "commas" in the *Name fields may be a problem....

Also, Gimp-Print-PPDs tend to be quite large. What is the file
size of this PPD? Could the issue be some limitation regarding
the PPD size to be tranferred from Samba to XP?

Last, this seems to be an "old" style PPD. (I can tell from the
"cupsomatic" filter).

Could you try to generate a new style PPD, starting to surf
Linuxprinting.org from

   http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic2.9/

and generating the PPD via

   http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic2.9/printer_list.cgi

The new PPDs are fully compliant to the Adobe spec. But they
require you to use the new "foomatic-rip" filter instead of
"cupsomatic". Get foomatic-rip from

   http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic2.9/download.cgi?filename=foomatic-rip&show=0

OTOH, the same PPD seems to have worked with the Adobe driver
files? Hmm.....

Also, just for the Samba-->XP driver download testing, could
you install a driver with another (simple) PPD, like this:

   "lpadmin -p Canon2 -v parallel://dev/lp0 -E -m laserjet.ppd"

   "cupsaddsmb -v Canon2"

and see if you can install the Canon2 onto XP? It would possibly
limit the scope of possible errors to the PPD in question (or
exclude it)?

> *PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 550"
> *PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 651"
> *PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 652"
> *PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 653"
> *PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 704"
> *PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 705"
> *PSVersion:	"(3010.000) 800"
> *LanguageLevel:	"3"
> *ColorDevice:	True
> *DefaultColorSpace: RGB
> *FileSystem:	False
>
> Running my local cupstestppd command seems to validate okay, with the following
> output:
>
> davidski at geoff:~$ cupstestppd /usr/local/etc/cups/ppd/Canon_BJC.ppd
> FILE: /usr/local/etc/cups/ppd/Canon_BJC.ppd
>
>     CONFORMANCE TESTS:
>         PASS    DefaultContrast
>         PASS    DefaultCyan
>         PASS    DefaultDensity
>         PASS    DefaultDither
>         PASS    DefaultGSResolution
>         PASS    DefaultImageType
>         PASS    DefaultMagenta
>         PASS    DefaultOutputType
>         PASS    DefaultQuality
>         PASS    DefaultstpBrightness
>         PASS    DefaultstpGamma
>         PASS    DefaultstpSaturation
>         PASS    DefaultYellow
>         PASS    DefaultInputSlot
>         PASS    DefaultMediaType
>         PASS    DefaultPageSize
>         PASS    DefaultPageRegion
>         PASS    Fonts
>         PASS    LanguageEncoding
>         PASS    LanguageVersion
>         PASS    Manufacturer
>         PASS    ModelName
>         PASS    NickName
>         PASS    PageSize
>         PASS    PageRegion
>         PASS    Product
>         PASS    ShortNickName
>
> Interestingly, the testppd web link you sent reports that this PPD fails with
> the message:
>
> Canon_BJC.ppd: FAIL
>       **FAIL**  BAD ModelName - "," not allowed in string.
>                 REF: Pages 59-60, section 5.3.

The web version is the latest (probably from CVS), using even more detailed
checks than the first shipped one. The shipping version will be update too,
I think, with the next release.

> I'll regenerate the foomatic PPD from linuxprinting.org tonight and verify
> that my PPD is current.  If so, I'll test with and without the "," in my
> PPD file and see if that corrects the problem.

Another thought: Could it be a setting on XP, which makes it not accept
"unsigned" driever? Hmm... probably XP would complain about this in more
uncertain terms.... and likely, the (working) Adobe driver files aren't
signed either....

> As always, thanks for all your time and effort.
>
> David

Cheers,
Kurt