[Samba] BUG report: smbclient

mark lists at xinot.net
Wed Apr 2 08:54:48 GMT 2003

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:21:50 +0000 (GMT)
John H Terpstra <jht at samba.org> wrote:

> Suggest you use Ethereal to capture the WinXP startup to see if it
> sends the WINS server the correct name registration requests. If your
> WINS server does not have all three entries your name resolution for
> the WinXP client is broken.

I used tethereal to sniff the packets on a winxp bootup.  My dhcp server
sends the correct information.  It seems like winxp pro never sends back
the <0x03> information which I thought means it was registering itself
with the pdc as able to recieve messages. I booted another computer on
the network into winxp home edition and it DID send back the<0x03> info.
 Very interesting.

This seems to me to be saying that my winxp pro machines are not
registering themselves as

0x03 ==  Messenger Service

I can send a message to them if I use -R bcast.

I think I'll need to do some searching of the ms knowledge base.

mark