[Samba] nmbd question

khobar pnixon18 at cox.net
Wed Apr 2 00:15:46 GMT 2003

> On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Barry, Christopher wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> > I know that there are issues with NetBIOS across subnets, but I was
wondering:

> > Q: If I run nmbd on a multi-interface Linux router, and allow it to
> > listen on all interfaces, and pointing all clients to their respective
> > router interface, can it effectively serve WINS to all subnets such that
> > everyone can browse everyone?
>
> Yes. That is the design.

I wish it actually did work. I'm running Mandrake 9.0 with Samba 2.2.6. The
Mandrake box has 3 NICs in it: eth0 (internet), eth1 (wired intranet), and
wlan0 (wireless intranet). Basically Samba works okay on the wired intranet,
but on the wireless net it is up and down all day long...unreliable in the
extreme.

I've asked about this a number of times and posted my smb.conf with no
have no other problems with the wireless net I can only assume the problem
is either Samba or my smb.conf. I did have an MDK72 system with a Webgear
Aviator 2.4 and an older version of Samba working successfully so I am at
least somewhat familiar with the overall process. If someone could spot the
error in my smb.conf file I would very much appreciate it.

Paul Nixon

/etc/samba/smb.conf

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost.testgroup (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2003/02/02 20:18:31

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = testgroup
        server string = Samba Server %v
        interfaces = 192.168.1.0/24 192.168.240.0/24
        bind interfaces only = yes
        security = SHARE
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password*
%n\n
        unix password sync = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        printcap name = lpstat
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        local master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        printing = cups

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s # using cups own drivers
(use g
eneric PostScript on clients).
        lpq command = lpstat -o %p
        lprm command = cancel %p-%j
        browseable = No

[user1]
        comment = User1's Service
        path = /home/user1
        valid users = user1
        read only = No

[user2]
        comment = user2's Service
        path = /home/user2
        valid users = user2
        read only = No

[tmp]
comment = temporary files
path = /tmp
read only = yes

[HP812C]
        path = /var/spool/samba
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s # using cups own drivers
(use g
eneric PostScript on clients).
        lpq command = lpstat -o %p
        lprm command = cancel %p-%j