[Samba] WINS on Samba

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Apr 1 22:19:52 GMT 2003

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Karl Banasky wrote:

> I read that in order to have WINS work correctly, one need to have the
> "guest account enabled for the SAMBA WINS server. Is this correct?

What problem are you trying to solve? Please give an example of what is
not working.

> I currently have WINS enabled and no guest account.  When I go to the
> "Hood" it shows a blank page.  I have checked, rechecked, checked and
> rechecked my settings.  Any ideas?

What do you believe WINS is and what does it do?

WINS is orthogonal to network browsing. A guest account is central to
network browsing, but has nothing to do with WINS. In the absence of a
guest account for samba you can forget about network browsing.

Why have you NOT configured a guest account for Samba? What is your
problem with this guest account?

Have you configured your MS Windows clients to use the WINS server by
setting the IP address of your Samba WINS server as the IP address of the
primary and secondary WINS addresses? If you have done this then use of
LMHOSTS is highly undesirable and can be counter productive.

- John T.

> Thanks.
> KArl
>

> >>  Am Die, 2003-04-01 um 16.29 schrieb Marco Calabi - T Plan S.r.l.:
>  >>  > Dear Sirs,
>  >>  > i'm trying to set up my samba server as WINS server
>
>  >>  > in /etc/lmhosts i've defined:
>  >>  Most likely you won't need a lmhosts if you have wins working properly.
>
>  >>  > In the tcp/ip setting, under wins server, i put the samba server address
>  >>
>  >>  > 192.168.1.1
>  >>  Configure all servers to use this wins server EXCEPT the wins server
>  >>  itself!
>  >>  This is on 192.168.1.1 you have
>  >>  wins support = yes
>  >>  and no "wins server" entry.
>
>  >>  On all other machines samba and NT/2k you configure
>  >>  wins server = 192.168.1.1
>  >>  (in smb.conf or the Windows network setup)

---
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org