[Samba] Printing problems with Samba 2.2.3a

Eric Keeley e-keeley at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 30 21:50:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

I've been using Samba 2.0.5 successfully for a long time and am now trying
to configure 2.2.3a under Debian GNU/Linux 3.0.  I've succeeded with the
exception of one printer share.  What makes this frustrating is that the
share is mostly functional, but I haven't been able to find my problem
described anywhere else.

We have two HP printers, a LaserJet 4000N and a LaserJet 5N, which I'd like
to share using the new SPOOLSS printer functionality.  Following the
instructions in the Printing How-to, I was able to upload drivers for both
printers to the Samba server from an NT4 (SP6a) Workstation.  Printing to
the 4000N now works flawlessly.  My problems are with the 5N.  When I try
to print a test page with "Print Test Page" button, NT4 WS (SP6a) responds
with

"Test page failed to print.  Would you like to view the print trouble
shooter for assistance?  The data area passed to a system call is too small."

Also, several of the settings on the "Device" tab are
unavailable.  Strangely, I am able to print to this printer with my other
application programs with no apparent problem.

In an attempt to fix this problem, I uninstalled its driver according MS
Knowledge Base article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q135406& and
deleted its driver files in print$/W32X86/2.  When I subsequently attempted
to upload the driver, I  received a copy error.  Apparently, this is
because NT4 was attempting to copy the files to $print/W32X86 instead of
print$/W32X86/2.

Here are my questions:

1.  Does anyone know what caused the original problem with the failed
printing of the test page and the unavailable options in the device tab?

2.  What's the right way to remove printer drivers after they've been uploaded?

3.  How does one give NT4 WS amnesia about a print driver?  For example,
even after I deleted the files and registry settings for the HP5N as
specified in Q13506, its driver was still listed as an option on the
General tab.  Are there other registry settings that need to be altered?

Here are the share definitions for print$ and the LaserJet 5N:

[print$]
    path = /usr/local/windows/printers
    read only = yes
    write list = @respgms