[Samba] Winbind UID assignments - keeping a backup

Wieprecht, Karen M. Karen.Wieprecht at jhuapl.edu
Mon Sep 30 18:05:02 GMT 2002

We use samba 2.2.5 in security=domain with winbind running.  NT users who
don't have corresponding UNIX accounts are assigned a UID "on the fly" based
on the range specified in the smb.conf file.

Are there any recommendations for keeping that file backed up or synced up
with another system's samba files?  We have a cluster where either of two
machine could serve our critical files in the event one went down.  I would
like to keep this critical UID assignments file synced up (should I just use
rsync?).  Since it's a .tdb file, not just a text file,  I wasn't sure if
any host-specific stuff was written there that might become a problem if I
use a copy of the file on a different samba server.

Curious,

	Karen Wieprecht