[Samba] W9x print driver download problems with Samba 2.2.3a and CUPS

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Mon Sep 30 11:05:01 GMT 2002

Glasgall wrote on samba-digest:

> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 14:09:19 -0400
> From: Adam Glasgall <teferi at wmute.net>
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: [Samba] W9x print driver download problems with Samba 2.2.3a and CUPS
>

> --JgQwtEuHJzHdouWu
>
> I've set up Samba and CUPS on our testing server here, and used
> smbcupsadd to upload the Adobe PS drivers to the server as directed in
> the HOWTO (The CUPS and Samba HOWTOs differ on this point, by the way -
> the latter claims that PSMON.DLL is needed in addition to the eight
> other files.

You are right, somehow this got lost in the Samba HOWTO Collection and
should be listed.

> I played it safe and had it upload that, too).
> With the caveat that I first have to connect to each printer on a w2k
> machine and select the driver from the list manually (driver is clearly
> installed, just not associated with the printer - rpcclient setdriver
> will probably do it, too, I guess), printing from win2k machines works
> perfectly - drivers get autodownloaded and everything Just Works.
>
> Win9x is another story altogether. It's clearly trying to get the
> drivers from the server, but at the beginning of the process, it pops up
> a box asking for a file whose name is one unprintable character -
> Windows prints it as a bold vertical bar in the box. It IS looking in
> the right place (\\<servername>\print$\win40\0), but, clearly, the file
> isn't there,

Are you saying there is no content in <Unix-path to "[print$]">/WIN40/0/
at all?

> and it's certainly not trying to get the right file.
> Watching communications between the two machines with ethereal yielded
> no useful information.
> What's going on here?

I guess your "cupsaddsmb" command didn't work as intended. Try to run
it again. Use the "-v" parameter for verbose output. Are you seeing the
line

   "Printer Driver <printername> successfully installed."

*twice* (once for each architecture, W32X86 [=WinNT/2K/XP], and WIN40
[=Win9x]) ?

Are you seeing a line of

   "Succesfully set <printername> to driver <printername>."

at the end?

If any of the "rpcclient adddriver|setdriver" commands fails (they are
printed by the "-v" output of cupsaddsmb), you can try to run them
manually from the console, with debuglevel increased ("-d 3" or "-d 5")
to troubleshoot this...

My final advice: Upgrade 2.2.3a to the latest 2.2.5 (with additional
print patches applied as to the advices on the website) or to 2.2.6 if
it is released....

> Adam Glasgall

Cheers,
Kurt