[Samba] Problems with lower and uppercase filenames

Barzilai Spinak barspi at internet.com.uy
Sat Sep 28 09:32:01 GMT 2002

Hi, I just subscribed to this list to see if I can get a solution to the
following problem.
I've spent a couple of hours looking though the man pages, google, etc
but haven't found a solution.

Platform: RedHat 7.3 and Win98SE (in spanish)
Samba Version 2.2.3a

Ok, the problem is the following.

case 1:
Let's say I have a unix directory /temp  shared through samba. I'm
sitting at my windows machine and I can create filenames
with upper/lowe/mixed cases and everything works fine

case 2:
There's a windows shared directory in my windows machine, let's call it
"MyWinShare"
I want to access it from unix so I do a  mount -t smbfs -o username=joe
 //WINPUTER/MyWinShare /mnt/winputer/shareit

now from the unix shell prompt I can create files in my windows machine
with any kind of upper/lower case letters...

so far so good...

Now I create a samba share:
[whatever]
path=/mnt/winputer/shareit
browseable = yes
writable = yes
create mask = 0666
directory mask = 0777
preserve case=yes                ; added this one just in case....

The problem starts now. When accessing this share from the Windows
computer I can see the shared directory (although through
an unnecesary "loopback" which is irrelevant to the problem because it
still happens with a different setup "without loops").
* If I drag and copy a file from the windows explorer, lets say
"foo.txt", the new file becomes "COPY OF FOO.TXT"
   All the characters in uppercase.
* If I move the file to another directory in the share, the case is kept.
* If I rename a file to fOooOo.tXt,  the case is kept.
* If I use Notepad and save a new file in the share, it goes all to
UPPERCASE!!!
* If I use Wordpad, however, it respects the case...
* Other programs behave in different ways...

The main problem (and what started all this) is that my Java IDE has the
"all to uppercase" problem and if I edit a file and then save it,
the filename goes to UPPER which is very bad for a Java filename since
it's case sensitive.

So I read man smb.conf, man smbmount, etc... and saw parameters for
codepages and character sets, and started trying combinations
(my windows is in codepage 850 for DOS and codepage 1252 for windows, my
/usr/share/samba/codepages has an entry for 1251 but
not for 1252...)
Nothing new happens with all the codepage changes, the problem persists.

Notice that is not a problem of smb itself because other shares work
fine, nor of smbmount itself because from the unix prompt I can create
files in the windows machine with any case of letter. But smb+smbmount,
both together, give this phenomenon!!!

any ideas??   I hope this is not too confusing... it's 6:30am already
and I can't even type!

thanks

BarZ