[Samba] How to automate SMBMNT

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Fri Sep 27 11:01:01 GMT 2002

> Message: 21
> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 22:20:08 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Urban Widmark <urban at teststation.com>
> To: Michael Marano <michael.marano at m23.com>
> Cc: samba at samba.org
> Subject: RE: [Samba] How to automate SMBMNT
>
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Michael Marano wrote:
>

>> I have a tangential question based upon your response about the
>> credentials file. I have set up a smbmount to happen on boot in
>> /etc/fstab, but am looking for a good way to not be prompted for the
>> password, and not have the password in plaintext in /etc/fstab, or in a
>> credentials file.  Do you know how I can acheive this?
>

> I think pam_mount does what you want. It uses the username/password you
> use to login to the linux box in the smbfs mount command.
>

> smbmount could be modified to work with some kind of "ssh-agent" workalike
> to allow you to give the username/password once and then re-use it for
> your other mount requests. It wouldn't even have to be a smbmount specific
> daemon.

You mean something like this?

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/smbfs/index.html

But, every time I think about this, it makes me wonder if this ins't
what kerberos is supposed to do (aka I don't like having anything around
which caches the clear-text passowrd).

> I don't think any of the smb related pam modules do this (or winbindd or
> ...) but I haven't really looked.

If something like this were to occur, then it would be nice if it were
standardised, so that all linux smb clients could use it. Including
smbclient, smbmount, pam_mount (in case smbmount doesn't find a running
daemon when pam_mount runs it), kio_smb, the gnome-vfs module for smb,
komba2 (so it doesn't need your password to find shares on a server that
doesn't allow guest connections) etc.

BTW, we got a patch from a user who had problems with smbmount's hanging
when the smb server went down, to run umount2 on the mount point.
Interested?

Buchan