[Samba] Cannot Browse Windows Network:

Stewart Thompson stewart.thompson at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 27 08:16:01 GMT 2002

Hi All:

	I have scoured the archives and done a Google search with
no answers. I set up Samba on Redhat 7.2 Samba 2.2.1a-4 on a
friends network. He is running 2 Windows 98 machines. They can't
browse network neighbourhood. Sometimes rebooting the machines
will fix it temporarily. Shutting down Samba allows the Windows
Machines to browse the network. So, I am pretty sure it is the culprit.
	The Samba was installed from the Redhat RPM and is up2date.
The config file follows. **** = censored for security

 # Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = ****
        netbios name = ****
        server string = **** Samba Server
        interfaces = eth1 192.168.1.1/24
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        os level = 33
        local master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        dns proxy = No
        remote announce = 192.168.1.255
        printing = lprng

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = /
        read only = No
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[Share 1]

****

[Share 2]

****

The Samba Shares work fine. It is just the network browsing that is
screwed up.
	I have checked his network set up on the Windows Machines.
It is set up with an Ethernet card and TCP/IP. No Netbui or IPX/SPX or
anything silly.  WINS Resolution is disabled, and I don't have Samba
set up as a WINS Server. It is my understanding that WINS is not
necessary for proper operation.

	Can anybody point me in the right direction here? I have seen
the problem mentioned on the list, but I have not seen a solution.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.