[Samba] Files missing in Windows Explorer but really there in system

Eric Maquiling emaquili at ductape.net
Thu Sep 26 22:50:01 GMT 2002

I'm having a very strange problem with Samba and Win2K.  I did a
search in the archives and there was something about desktop.ini but
that wasn't it.

I'll explain in 2 parts, the problem and then I'll attach the [homes]
section of my smb.conf

I can see user's files on the Linux box (RedHat 7.3) under
/home/user/*

The user can open up M$ word and save a file to
\\server\$user\this_is_a_word_doc.doc. For the sake of argument, lets
call this file Procedures.doc.  When the user gets out of word and and
open it up again try's "File | Open" and does a browse for the file
(instead of the bottom where you get the most recent opened files)
the file is not there.  When I log onto the Linux box and do an
'ls -l', the file is certainly there.  When the user opens it up from
the bottom of "File | Recent-file-list-on-the-bottom-of-pull-down-menu,
the file opens up.  What's even more strange is that everything after
the letter "P" does not show up.  So if the user saves a file called
"Everything.doc", I can see that in the browser window (Explorer
browser and also in File | open browser).  Very strange.

Here's the smb.conf file

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = WVI
	netbios name = FILE01
	server string = File Server
	;security = domain
	;password server = m43
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
	unix password sync = Yes
	log level = 4
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	preferred master = False