[Samba] How to automate SMBMNT

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Sep 26 20:22:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Michael Marano wrote:

> I have a tangential question based upon your response about the
> credentials file. I have set up a smbmount to happen on boot in
> /etc/fstab, but am looking for a good way to not be prompted for the
> password, and not have the password in plaintext in /etc/fstab, or in a
> credentials file.  Do you know how I can acheive this?

I think pam_mount does what you want. It uses the username/password you
use to login to the linux box in the smbfs mount command.

smbmount could be modified to work with some kind of "ssh-agent" workalike
to allow you to give the username/password once and then re-use it for
your other mount requests. It wouldn't even have to be a smbmount specific
daemon.

I don't think any of the smb related pam modules do this (or winbindd or
...) but I haven't really looked.

/Urban