[Samba] ugh, continued ldap madness

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Thu Sep 26 18:58:01 GMT 2002

Please someone tell me I'm insane.

Relevant parts of the config:

passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldap.byramhealthcare.com/
ldap admin dn = "cn=admin,dc=byramhealthcare,dc=com"
#enable SSL after we get it working without first
ldap ssl = off
ldap user suffix = "ou=People,dc=byramhealthcare,dc=com"
ldap machine suffix = "ou=People,dc=byramhealthcare,dc=com"

$ smbpasswd -D 9 -a dballing

Found pdb backend ldapsam (at pos 4)
pdb backend ldapsam:ldap://ldap.byramhealthcare.com/ has a valid init
ldap_open_connection: connection opened
ldap_connect_system: succesful connection to the LDAP server
ldapsam_search_one_user: searching
for:[(&(uid=dballing)(objectclass=sambaAccount))]
ldapsam_search_one_user: Problem during the LDAP search: No such object
ldapsam_search_one_user: Query was: ,
(&(uid=dballing)(objectclass=sambaAccount))
Home server: TESTBOX
Home server: TESTBOX
ldap_open_connection: connection opened
ldap_connect_system: succesful connection to the LDAP server
ldapsam_search_one_user: searching
for:[(&(uid=dballing)(objectclass=sambaAccount))]
ldapsam_search_one_user: Problem during the LDAP search: No such object
ldapsam_search_one_user: Query was: ,
(&(uid=dballing)(objectclass=sambaAccount))
ldapsam_search_one_user: searching for:[uid=dballing]
ldapsam_search_one_user: Problem during the LDAP search: No such object
ldapsam_search_one_user: Query was: , uid=dballing
Adding new user
Setting entry for user: dballing
failed to modify/add user with uid = dballing (dn =
uid=dballing,ou=People,dc=byramhealthcare,dc=com) with: Already exists

... now it SEEMS like it's trying to create a new user with a uid of
'dballing', because it can't find one when it searches for
[uid=dballing]... (presumably if it DID find one, it would just modify
the existing entry to add the sambaAccount objectclass, etc. etc.
right?)

But, using that same search criteria, I very easily find what it's
looking for:

$ ldapsearch -x -h ldap 'uid=dballing'
version: 2

#
# filter: uid=dballing
# requesting: ALL
#

# dballing, People, byramhealthcare, com
dn: uid=dballing,ou=People,dc=byramhealthcare,dc=com
givenName: Derek
sn: Balling
l: White Plains
uid: dballing
manager: uid=rhiggins,ou=People,dc=byramhealthcare,dc=com
cn: Derek J. Balling
mail: dballing at byramhealthcare.com
shadowLastChange: 11936
objectClass: account
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: shadowAccount
objectClass: top
objectClass: Person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
shadowMax: 99999
shadowWarning: 7
loginShell: /bin/bash
gecos: Derek Balling,,,
gidNumber: 100
uidNumber: 228
homeDirectory: /home/dballing
host: whitechapel.byramhealthcare.com
host: testbox.byramhealthcare.com

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

... so what am I missing? What am I doing wrong? I've got the admin
password set via '-w', so it's not that.... I feel like such a putz,
because I keep asking this over and over, but never really get an
answer, so either I'm boggling everyone, or my question is so dumb that
people are ignoring me. ;-)

I'll happily admit if it's the latter, but I can't personally see what
I'm doing wrong... :(

Thanks in advance,