[Samba] PDC and smbpasswd on Solaris 7

Ragu Nagalingam RNagalingam at Tiedemannfunds.com
Thu Sep 26 16:39:01 GMT 2002

Current Setup:

Bunch of Sun SPARCstation's running Solaris 7 in a NIS environment.

I have installed Samba 2.2.5 on a host 'A'  (NIS Slave).  Basic set up is
working fine.
Meaning, I can mount unix fileshare on windows system.

OBJECTIVE: The idea is to mount some UNIX file systems on Windows at boot
time and make it available to all users
                    using Windows.

To accomplish the above, I thought of installing Samba Server as PDC.  But I
couldn't create a machine$
account on Solaris 7 using 'useradd'.  Therefore, I created an machine
account manually and tried to insert '$'
using 'vipw'.  This doesn't work also.  Due to this, I could not create
smbpasswd database in /usr/local/samba/private directory.
It is possible that I don't need a PDC setup on Samba Server to solve my
problem.

How can I set up Windows 2000 server or SAMBA not to ask username or
password when using
following command at Windows server BOOT time.  'testco' is a sharable
partition on the unix host on which Samba is running.

net use t: //hosta/testco

Any other solutions will be appreciated.

Thank you very much.
--Ragu