[Samba] roaming profiles, printers, samba 2.2.4 & windows xp

Nathan Ehresman nehresma at css.tayloru.edu
Thu Sep 26 14:14:00 GMT 2002

> We have a problem with microsoft outlook, which saves the settings
> locally, and thus every student has to visit all lab pcs in order to have
> his detailed entered before he can use outlook.
>
> Has anybody implemented anything like this with win xp? any suggestions,
> pointers?

We don't use LookOut here, but have seen this with other applications.
What was happening for us is the application was saving its settings in
the profile's "Local Settings" directory, which of course does not roam.
  With XP you can modify the profile policy to say which directories do
not roam, and by default the "Local Settings" directory is in there.

One obvious possible solution: remove the directory from the policy so
that "Local Settings" roams.  This might cause other problems however
since browser cache and other things are often stored in this directory.
  It could negatively impact the login and logout time on your network
as more data is copied back and forth.

Nathan Ehresman