[Samba] Samba performance issues

John Coston jcoston at u.washington.edu
Thu Sep 26 00:48:01 GMT 2002

Hi all
just an update on our situation. We are not having any issues today,
and currently have about 40 users with about 120 connections listed by
smbstatus, and the load average is under 1%. We haven't seen any of the
smbd processes running away with the CPU so far, fingers crossed. The
primary change we made was implementing roaming profiles for our users,
and disabling the mandatory profile. My suspicion is that while
mandatory profiles were in place, we had some locking problems which
resulted in the smbd processes utilizing all of the CPU. After shutting
down completely, and manually killing off the hung processes, things
are going much better. We are still running without the patch for
locking issues that Robert mentions below, but that will be rectified
soon.
We are going to test out the file locking/mandatory profile hypothesis
with our backup machine in the next few days, and hopefully will be
able to provide some more detailed information on exactly what is
happening.
Thanks to all for the guidance, help & suggestions.
John