[Samba] looping logins

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Wed Sep 25 13:56:01 GMT 2002

I first sent a message about this problem 8 days ago, but have still not resolved
it.  However, I now have a much clearer idea of what is happening, so can provide a
better description.

We have a SAMBA_2_2_5 PDC (using LDAP) with dozens of XP PCs as members of the
domain.  This all seems to work OK as such.  We also have on the same network loads
of XP PCs which are not members of the domain, but are just members of various
workgroups.  Our problem is that there are times when (so it seems to me) some of
these non-domain PCs are thrashing away trying to get at the IPC$ share on one or
more of the PCs which are members of SAMBA's domain.

I have used a sniffer on the network connection of a domain member while this is
happening (this PC was sitting on the XP login window at the time).  This is the
sequence of packets to/from the PC: