[Samba] Is nmbd running?

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Wed Sep 25 10:40:00 GMT 2002

I would really suggest you use swat only for reading documentation easily
and use vi to edit smb.conf and run the scripts manually. You'll never learn
to troubleshoot things if you don't.
Even for documentation, I find man smb.conf faster and easier to use than
swat.
Get out of the GUI habit as fast as you can.
Now, for your problem.
What does ps ax | grep mbd
show?
Find your startup scripts. I don't know where suse puts them, and start these
things by hand.
Here is all I need to get my daemons running. I suspect your script is more
complicated, needlessly IMHO. Your paths may be different.

#!/bin/bash
case "$1" in
 start)
  killall smbd
  killall nmbd
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D
  ;;

 stop)
  killall smbd
  killall nmbd
 ;;
 reload)
 kill -SIGHUP `cat /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid`
 kill -SIGHUP `cat /usr/local/samba/var/locks/nmbd.pid`
 ;;
 *)
 echo Usage:
 echo start stop reload