[Samba] How to automate SMBMNT

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Sep 24 19:22:01 GMT 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, lloydl wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> How do I automate smbmnt so that when logging on, it mounts the required
> shared directories on an NT4.0 file system using the user name and
> password I used t gain access to the GUI ?

You mean smbmount?

pam_mount will mount things at login time. But that's the full extent of
my knowledge on it.

> I s this possible. I am currently running Network Neighborhood and have
> been using this application for access but this requires that I scan
> mount and log-on again before gaining access to that share. I would like
> to be able to add a shortcut to the desktop that will give me access to
> that the share as well. Is this at all possible ?

If it's only for one user you can create an autofs mount that mounts the
//server/share when you access it, without asking for password if you give
it one in the cfg file (or in a separate file using the credentials
option).

/Urban

PS: 'lloydl at cat..co.za' doesn't look like a vaild email address.