[Samba] Printing problem with Samba, XP, and Xerox Printer

Kevin Bramblett kbramblett at dssresearch.com
Tue Sep 24 16:24:01 GMT 2002

I'm sorry, I do not understand how to set the absolute path to the printer.
I am fairly new to linux and samba.  Here is the section of my smb.conf file
that handles the printers:

[printers]
 comment = All Printers
 path = /usr/spool/samba
 browseable = yes
 print command = lpr -b -r -h -P%p %s
 writeable = no
 printable = yes
 valid users = @TUMS+"DOMAIN USERS" @TUMS+"DOMAIN WEBUSERS"

I have used the printconf to setup the printers in my printcap file and all
printers use this setting.  I am having problems only with XP as it relates
to this one Xerox DC440 printer.  I can print to HP Laserjet 4 and Color
printers without this problem.

I appreciate the helpful comment and hope you will explain further with an
example.  My Samba book does not give an example for the -P%p for absolute
path.

Thanks again,
Kevin