[Samba] Strange error message when a user can't change password

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Tue Sep 24 13:34:01 GMT 2002

Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> NERR_PasswordTooShort   2246  The password is too short
>
> So I changed the error code 86 into 2246 - but the error
> message I get in win95 is: "The password of this user is
> too recent to change".
>
> I can see in ethereal that a response packet with the error
> number 2246 is indeed sent from samba. The text displayed
> by ethereal for this error message is "The password is too short".
>
> I don't know why windows doesn't display the right message...

I should have started thinking before posting (TM) :-)

I tried connecting the win95 machine to our w2k server,
set the policy to only allow passwords >= 5 chars, and
then ethereal while I try to change the password: The
W2K server doesn't send error 2246, but 2245!

After patching smbd/lanman.c so that an error 2246
is returned, the Win9x user now gets the following
response when changing to a password that is too short:

"Your password is too short, you've used it
before, or it doesn't contain the required combination
of numbers, uppercase and lowercase letters, and symbols"

Just what I need!

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg Laboratory, Dept. of Chemistry
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08