[Samba] Can't access samba from Windows

Frank Matthieß fm+samba at Microdata-POS.de
Tue Sep 24 12:44:01 GMT 2002

Dienstag den 24.09.2002 um 14:33 CEST  +0200, schrieb Infra:
> Dear all,
> using LinNeighborhood I can view and access all share
> folders of windows PC. From Network Neighborhood windows
> Ican see Samba but can't access. Error message is "Network
> Path was not found". I try using net view \\samba get same
> error message.
> >From Sambahowtocollections test procedure but I stuck at
> Test 8.
> Suggestions from manual are:
> 1. Fix up the nmbd installation.
> 2. Add the IP address of samba server to the "winserver"
> box in the advanced tcp/ip setup on PC.
> 3. Enable windows name resolution via DNS in the advanced
> section of tcp/ip setup
> 4. add samba to lmhosts on the PC
>
> No metter for suggestions no.2-4. But how to do suggestion
> no.1?

You don't need 2-4, if you are running and nt based domain.

> Or any other suggestions?
>
> I write here my smb.conf
> [global]
> workgroup = mygroup

  workgroup = <your nt domainname>

> security = domain
> password server = PDC
> encrypt password = yes

man smb.conf:
       wins server (G)
              This specifies the IP  address  (or  DNS  name:  IP
              address  for  preference)  of  the WINS server that
              nmbd(8)should register with. If  you  have  a  WINS
              server  on your network then you should set this to
              the WINS server's IP.

  wins server = <ip of your nt wins server>

> [temp]
> path = /tmp
> read only = no
> public = yes
>
> PS. joining samba  to NTPDC succsesful

Just told this samba machine to play in the same arena.

--
Frank Matthieß                                    fm+samba at Microdata-pos.de