[Samba] Read failure for 4. Error = connection reset by peer.

Jason Valenzuela jason.valenzuela at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 23 22:47:00 GMT 2002

I am having a SERIOUS problem with our new 2.2.5 server. In fact I will
probably be forced to move to a Windows 2000 Server platform, as the samba
server is practically useless.  Work on any files on the share cannot be
done without major risk of losing data. I get these two errors all day:

[2002/09/19 21:04:21, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(436)
   read_data: read failure for 4. Error = Connection reset by peer

and

[2002/09/20 00:58:43, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(436)
   read_data: read failure for 4. Error = Connection timed out

Most of them are the connection reset by peer. I get more than 25 a day at
times, at intervals ranging from 5 minutes to several hours. If someone has
a file open during that time and try to save I get a bunch of oplock log
errors, their application crashes and all data is lost. I've searched and
searched w/ google, no one seems to have any solutions. I've tried some
keepalive options. Both socket level and application level, both failed.
Somone mentioned a registry fix but that also seems to have failed. My
clients are mostly Windows 2k with a couple of XP's.

Frustrated,
Jason Valenzuela