[Samba] interesting WINS resolution problem iwth 2.2.5 PDC

Phil Gregory pgregory at hillmgt.com
Mon Sep 23 21:24:01 GMT 2002

* Dan Bongert <dbongert at ssc.wisc.edu> [2002-09-23 15:04 -0500]:
> But, I want to mount a couple shares from the domain clients to the server,
> and that works just fine except for one client.

The problem is in the manner in which Samba is resolving the name
"cybertron" to an IP address.

> 	fujisawa(6) ~> smbmount //cybertron/share /mnt/win
> 	INFO: Debug class all level = 3   (pid 28027 from pid 28027)
> 	mount.smbfs started (version 2.2.5)
> 	added interface ip=192.168.1.60 bcast=192.168.1.255
> 		nmask=255.255.255.0
> 	resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name cybertron<0x20>

First, it checks lmhosts[0].  It doesn't find anything there, since it
goes on the next method.

> 	resolve_hosts: Attempting host lookup for name cybertron<0x20>
> 	Connecting to 168.100.250.95 at port 139

The next method is the host method, which uses your system
name-to-IP-address resolution (i.e. /etc/hosts, DNS, etc.).  If you run
'host cybertron' on fujisawa, it should give you the IP address
168.100.250.95.  Check your name resolution settings on that host.  I'd
start with looking /etc/resolv.conf.

> A nmblookup finds it just fine:
>
> 	fujisawa(11) ~> nmblookup cybertron
> 	querying cybertron on 192.168.1.255
> 	192.168.1.101 cybertron<00>

That's because nmblookup defaults to checking for hosts via broadcast,
while broadcast is the last thing Samba tries (by default).

I'd recommend checking your hostname resolution settings on fujisawa
first.  Also of use is the smb.conf "name resolve order" directive.  It
defaults to "lmhosts host wins bcast".  I usually set it to "wins lmhosts
bcast", since I have a WINS server on my network.

Check the smb.conf man page fore more info.

> Though I'm not sure where the <0x20> and <00> are supposed to signify.

Just for your edification, I'll take this, too.  Those are the service
type identifiers (not sure what the official terminology is).  Hosts using
NetBIOS actually list several names for themselves, with the last byte of
those names signifying the type of service.  Thus, smbmount looks for
"cybertron<20>", since 0x20 signifies the file sharing service.  nmblookup
just looks for "cybertron<00>", with 0x00 referring just to the host's
name.

[0] You can have a file named lmhosts in the same directory as your
    smb.conf file.  The lmhosts file contains IP address to NetBIOS name
    mappings.  Most people don't use them.