[Samba] Trouble with Windows 2000 sp3

Joshua Pollak jpollak at cra.com
Mon Sep 23 19:01:00 GMT 2002

Hello,

I work in a development shop where we write code for both Linux and Windows,
and develop on both OS's on a codebase stored on a Linux drive with Samba
shares. Ever since I 'upgraded' my Windows 2000 system to service pack 3, I
have been having trouble compiling my code with Visual Studio over this Samba
connection.

Basically what happens is that Visual Studio reports "cannot open file" for
various .exp, .sbr, .lib, or .dll files that it tries to write to during the
compilation process. When I try to go into Windows Explorer and delete the
file, I get an error message that another process is using the file. I can
delete the file without a problem from my Linux machine, and then I can
usually resume compilation on the Windows box, but this is very aggrivating
as we have a large project.

Usually the only way to resolve this problem is to reboot the Windows machine,
but some of Microsofts latest critical updates seem to have made THAT not
even work.

Anyway, I have tried getting the Linux admin to disable oplocks, with this set
of commands:

[home]
oplocks = no
locking = Yes
share modes = Yes

But that doesn't seem to have worked. What gives? Is there anything else I can
try?

--
Joshua Pollak
Software Engineer