[Samba] Strange error message when a user can't change password

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Mon Sep 23 13:25:03 GMT 2002

Bradley W. Langhorst wrote:
>>However, if a user selects a password that is too short,
>>he/she will get a misleading error message saying that
>>the _old_ password is wrong.
>>
>>This occurs both when the user is on a w2k machine or
>>on a win95 machine.
>>
>>How do I set it up so that the user is given
>>a better error message?
>

> I don't think you can...
>
> I gave up on that problem a while ago.
>
> I'd love to be proved wrong though...
> brad

Hm, if I set my w2k PDC (for another domain)
up so that it only accepts passwords whose length >= 5
characters, the users are given a correct error message.

So it must be possible.

I can see from the source code in source/smbd/lanman.c
that the error code returned from samba is 86:

#define NERR_badpass 86

so if one just could find a better error code...

Is it possible to tcpdump/ethereal the error
message from the W2K PDC server and learn the
error code? Or is it all encrypted?

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg Laboratory, Dept. of Chemistry
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08