[Samba] Strange error message when a user can't change password

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Mon Sep 23 07:49:01 GMT 2002

Hello,

I'm trying to set up samba as a PDC.

The current version of samba is samba-server-2.2.6-1.0.pre2.2mdk
from Mandrake 9.0 RC3.

I want password sync'ing between smbpasswd and shadow.

I've set it up so that password rules are enforced
(i.e. the new password must not be in a dictionary),
and smb.conf has a "min passwd length" set to 5.

Everything works great, the users can change their
passwords.

However, if a user selects a password that is too short,
he/she will get a misleading error message saying that
the _old_ password is wrong.

This occurs both when the user is on a w2k machine or
on a win95 machine.

How do I set it up so that the user is given
a better error message?

Mogens
--
Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg Laboratory, Dept. of Chemistry
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08