[Samba] Using smbclient and nmblookup to send winpopup messages

Greg Vickers g.vickers at qut.edu.au
Mon Sep 23 06:19:00 GMT 2002

Hi all,
Has anyone done this? I can't figure out how to get nmblookup to give me
back the IP of the machine where a given user is logged in to.
(i.e. I log in on the secretaries PC, which has a different IP from my
usual machine, I will still get my winpopup messages from my linux box)

We don't have a WINS server on our domain controller, we have a
enterprise-wide WINS server which obviously does not keep track of where a
user is logged on in our (departmental) domain.

TIA,

Greg Vickers
Computer Systems Officer
Student Support and Systems
Teaching and Learning Support Systems, QUT
Kelvin Grove Campus, CRICOS No 00213J

Ph: 07 3864 8276 Fax: 07 3864 5425
Mob: 0416 001 674 SD: x6147