[Samba] Re: samba & cups

Frank Matthieß fm+samba at Microdata-POS.de
Mon Sep 23 05:46:01 GMT 2002

Freitag den 20.09.2002 um 18:35 CEST  +0200, schrieb P. Jourdan:
> At 03:35 PM 9/20/2002 +0200, you wrote:
> Gentlemen, and all others who have helped me:
>
> Someohow, I think I understand the samba configuration enough to make it
> work.
> OK. It works.
>
> Now comes the stinger.
>
> SAMBA WORKS FINE.

ok. first step.

> CUPS IS SICK. VERY SICK INDEED.  And I need help to fix it.

If you have to start this correectly, you won't miss them.
But i must agree, the first time is hard to configure.

> After bootup, cups does not print. cupsd is running, so is smbd and nmbd.
>
> IF I KILL CUPS AND THEN RESTART IT - ALL OF A SUDDEN EVERYTHING WORKS. I
> can print from command line, from Win2k, the web interface works.

The config seems to be ok.

> Now, the installation has been by the book. Done by good old make; make
> install.
> cups startup is from rc.d.
>
> Why do I have to restart cups to make it work when CUPS IS SUPPOSED TO WORK
> "OUT OF THE BOX"  -

It sounds like a dependency problem of services. Do you startup cups
after the network setup?

Restarting manually is just only starting at last.

Just increase ther debug level of cups, reboot the machine and read the
logs carefully. cupsd must complain some "missing parts".

Try to connect after the startup via browser to the webinterface. OK?

Frank.
--
Frank Matthieß                                    fm+samba at Microdata-pos.de