[Samba] Another printing problem...

Jeff Shipman shippy at nmt.edu
Sun Sep 22 23:02:00 GMT 2002

I'm now running samba 3.0-alpha19. I can get it to print
now, but when you try to open the spool in Windows, it
has the message "Failed to open, retrying" So, windows
thinks that the documents are always pending and the
printer on the systray never goes away.

I was going to attach my log of looking at the printer
in Network Neighborhood and then printing a test page,
but it's too big to include here because it's log level 3.
Log level 2 just doesn't include enough detail because
it just has that basics essentially and no messages I saw
indicated that there was any problem. For some reason,
Windows doesn't want to open the spool.

If you would like the log.samba file, please just send
me an email and I'll send it to you.

Here are the pertinent sections from my config file:

[global]
          server string = Samba Server %v on (%L)
          security = SHARE
          encrypt passwords = Yes
          null passwords = Yes
          passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
          passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
          log level = 3
          syslog = 2
          log file = /var/log/samba/log.samba
          printcap name = lpstat
          os level = 34
          preferred master = True
          domain master = True
          wins support = Yes
          invalid users = root adm bin boot daemon digital field games
gateway gopher halt mail news operator ris samba sccs shutdown sys sync uucp
          valid users = bonnie shippy nobody
          hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.0.0.
          printing = cups

[Epson]
      comment = Epson Stylus COLOR 777
      path = /var/spool/samba
      guest ok = Yes
      printable = Yes
      print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s -r
      lpq command = lpstat -o %p
      lprm command = lprm -P %p %j
      printer name = Epson
      use client driver = Yes

Thanks.

Jeff "Shippy" Shipman     E-Mail: shippy at nmt.edu
Computer Science Major    ICQ: 1786493
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
Homepage: http://www.nmt.edu/~shippy