[Samba] Mounting a ntfs on a w2k server onto a SuSE linux 8 setup at boot time.

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sun Sep 22 09:44:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, John Herdman wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I am a new Linux user and I need help.

> I have a W2K server with a couple of shared folders formated in the NTFS
> File format. Can I edit the FSTAB file so they can be mounted
> automatically. I have tried the SMBFS way but it keeps sayoing that i
> need to be SUID????

smbfs needs smbmnt to be setuid root to allow it to mount, if smbmount
isn't run by root. (man chmod, for example 'chmod u+s smbmnt' as root)
If you mount as root you don't need this.

This is described in the smbmnt manpage (try: man smbmnt and man smbmount)

> Can I use the VFAT command instead as that thw way my WinMe patitions on
> the same harddisk as Linux is done???

No, the vfat filesystem driver only accesses a local disk. smbfs is a
network filesystem that accesses other machines.

Note that in most cases the filesystem used by the server does not matter
at all.

/Urban