[Samba] Bad links in user profile

Jay Ts jay at jayts.cx
Sat Sep 21 19:53:01 GMT 2002

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 10:34:09PM +0400, Vladimir I. Umnov wrote:

> Why some times apears bad links in user profiles.

Bad shortcuts can appear if the computer that created or
modified the profile has a file or application on it
(that the shortcut refers to) that does not exist on
other computers. But ...

> After deletion this bad links (usually in
> NetHood, some times it is files in different folders), all work fine. W2K
> client report, what this files can not read, but I can read them in default
> profile mode from home directory.
> Users can not login with they profile information before I delete this
> files.

this seems to be something different. Are you sharing profiles
among different Windows versions?  That is, do you have anything
other than Windows 2000 using the same profile?  I've found that
sharing profiles among different versions to be problematic.

Microsoft acknowledges that there are incompatibilities (there
was a Knowledge Base article I found that was about a problem
sharing profiles between, IIRC(?) Windows 95 and Windows 98).
I would suggest that first, you never share profiles between
Windows 95/98/Me and Windows NT/2000/XP, and beyond that, things
seem to work better (here, at least) if profiles are restricted
to use only within the same specific version (e.g., do not let
Windows 2000 and Windows XP share them).

Jay Ts