[Samba] 2k clients

Matt Bednarik mbednarik at completecomputing.com
Sat Sep 21 13:41:13 GMT 2002

Hello, I have ran into a fairly large problem. When ever i try to join to samba
2.2.5 controlled domain with my win 2k client. It says user does not exist. I
checked to see of the machine trust account was setup correctly and it was.
Also the username and password i used is a working user because i can logon
with my 98 box just fine. The trust accounts are made, there is a domain admin
user which is valid, here is my smb.conf file:

#This is the configuation file for Samba version 2.2.5 for the SME test bundle
[global]
workgroup = ALPHATEST
smbpasswd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
#smbusers file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbusers
netbios name = Alphapdc
os level = 255
security = users
wins support = yes
#password server = "name of the nt or samba server to auth to"
encrypt passwords = yes
printer admin = mattb administrator
add user script = adduser -g 100 -s /bin/false
admin users = mattb administrator
#for domain logons
domain logons = yes
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
local master = yes
logon drive = H:
logon path = \\alphapdc\homes\%u
#logon drive = F:
#logon path = \\applications
time server = yes

[print$]
path = /usr/local/samba/printers
guest ok = no
browseable = yes
read only = no

write list = mattb administrator

[profiles]
path = /samba/users/profiles
read only = no
browseable = no
writeable = yes

[netlogons]
path = /samba/machines/netlogon
read only = yes
browseable = no
writeable = no
write list = mattb administrator

[homes]
path = /home/%u
read only = no
browseable = yes
writeable = yes

[administrative drop box]
path = /samba/users/admins
read only = no
writeable = yes
browseable = yes
read list = mattb administrator

[backup]
path = /samba/machines
read only = yes
writeable = no
browseable = no
write list = mattb administrator

[applications]
path = /samba/machines/apps
read only = yes
writeable = no
browseable = yes
write list = mattb administrator
I do not see what i am doing wrong. Nothing in your documentation or in any
mail archives says anything about getting this error message. I hope you can
help.

Matt Bednarik