[Samba] users/passwds

Frank Matthieß fm+samba at Microdata-POS.de
Thu Sep 19 14:41:01 GMT 2002

Donnerstag den 19.09.2002 um 16:19 CEST  +0200, schrieb P. Jourdan:
> Could somebody please explain just how one is supposed to set up samba
> users, groups and passwords so connections can be established to Win2k
> clients to connect to FBSD samba server for file sharing and to use cups
> for printing.
>
> I am afraid that the manuals and config files and various examples I have
> found on the Internet are quite confusing.
>
> How is the Windows username/passord related to samba access? Must the same
> username/password be created with smbpasswd?

You have to make sure that you create unix user and groups, that should
be used by samba/windows client.

For the first time it's easier to generate from your actual passwd the
corresponding smbpasswd:

cat  /etc/passwd  |  /usr/sbin/mksmbpasswd  > /etc/samba/smbpasswd

> What users/groups need to exist or be created on the Unix machine? Are any
> created automatically by samba installation?

samba itself runs as root, but switch to the assigned windows/unix user,
to make sure to access with the correct rights.

> What users/groups need to be set up for "guest" access?

It's up to you, which unix user would be the "guest". But hopefully not
"root".

> What is the difference between smb.conf entries "public = yes (or no)" and
> "guest ok = yes (or no)"?

man smb.conf

and last but not least:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html

--
Frank Matthieß                                          fm at Microdata-pos.de