[Samba] users/passwds

P. Jourdan pippo at videotron.ca
Thu Sep 19 14:20:01 GMT 2002

Could somebody please explain just how one is supposed to set up samba
users, groups and passwords so connections can be established to Win2k
clients to connect to FBSD samba server for file sharing and to use cups
for printing.

I am afraid that the manuals and config files and various examples I have
found on the Internet are quite confusing.

How is the Windows username/passord related to samba access? Must the same
username/password be created with smbpasswd?
What users/groups need to exist or be created on the Unix machine? Are any
created automatically by samba installation?
What users/groups need to be set up for "guest" access?
What is the difference between smb.conf entries "public = yes (or no)" and
"guest ok = yes (or no)"?

Phil