[Samba] Problems Using SAMBA as Fileserver

Frank Matthieß fm+samba at Microdata-POS.de
Thu Sep 19 12:36:01 GMT 2002

Donnerstag den 19.09.2002 um 14:21 CEST  +0200, schrieb Martin Elshuber:
> Hi!
>
> I've set up Samba 2.2.5 as Fileserver, using w2k clients, and all
> works well, nearly!  But there is one Problem!
>
> I cannot work with mp3-files!
> I can play a mp3; I can copy a mp3; I can even delete a mp3; But it is
> not possible to rename a mp3 or change the TAG.
>
> Everytime i try to do this, my w2k mashine says "Access denied! Mybe
> file open!", but no one works on this file (no winamp, kazaa, ...)!
> Trying to do this on a linux console works fine, too!

I think it's a locking problem.

> If the file has another extension i don't have any Problems.

It seems to be an windows issue.

> I think this is a very strange Problem!
> Perhaps someone has an idea how to slove this.

If you a familar with strace on linux, you got a chance to look what the
client should to with samba on the system.

smbstatus will give you a list of users/pids and a list of locked
files/pids. As root you ar eable to connect to this pis via strace -p
<pid>. After you do that, try to rename the mp3 file. The output can
redirect with -o <logfile> parameter as strace paramater.

--
Frank Matthieß                                          fm at Microdata-pos.de