[Samba] Password problem

Josh Friberg-Wyckoff jwcomputing at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 19 09:19:01 GMT 2002

We have a Linux PDC running RH7.2 and W2K
workstations.

We are having issues with users changing there
passwords from there Win2K workstations. They change
there password but when they try to log back on they
cannot logon because it says there username or
password is incorrect. But when we try the new
password on the Linux server (logging on to the server
locally) it works just fine.

I would think that this has something to do with the
Samba configuration. It seems like the samba password
file cannot save passwords that are over a certain
character limit or has special characters. It is
changing the password in the shadow file.

We are thinking that this has something to do with
either too long of a password or the special
characters they use. If they change there password to
something simple like joe123456 everything works fine.

We are big on security and we like our users to use 14
characters with at least one special character and
number.

The following password did not work when changed thru
the workstation.

t1 at 503karenoc5

This is only 14 characters and has one special
character. When I logged off and logged back on it did
not work.  But I then logged on the server locally
with the new password and it worked fine.