[Samba] Getent passwd (WAS Winbind breaking my head)

Thierry ITTY thierry.itty at besancon.org
Thu Sep 19 06:46:01 GMT 2002

I checked my config. I do not allow domain accounts to be used for unix
login, and samba is configured with "password server = nt pdc", therefore
does no pam files contain any reference to winbind. thought, getent passwd
and getent group work fine and they do return domain account information.
this is a first step to reach.

then, if you want to use domain accounts to allow unix login, you have to
set pam to use winbind, and take care that winbind authentication is not
only necessary but sufficent to accept logins. what i mean, is that if you
only add winbind lines in the config file, it may be too restrictive and
let usual passwd files stay mandatory

hth