[Samba] Printing to Unix Printer from Win2K "access denied"

Terrence Martin twm139 at its.to
Thu Sep 19 05:01:11 GMT 2002

I am trying to set up a samba printer from windows to print to a Unix printer without
much success.
The printer is an Okidata 410e/PS connected to a Linux system (RedHat 7.3) via a
parallel cable. The server is RH7.3 running samba 2.2.3a.
The printer is working from the local Unix system (lpd) as well as from another linux
workstation. ie I can print from mozilla on my linux workstation to the printer on my
Unix server. I am just using Unix printing in this case.
In windows I can browse to the printer "Okidata" as well as my other shares. I can add
the driver for the printer in win2k (I am not storing the driver on the samba server, it
is installed on the client). However in the printer browser in Windows 2K all I get is
an "access denied, unable to connect" message.
Attempts to print to the printer from within Win2K result in nothing being queued in the
unix lpd queue and no additional error messages in Win2K. There was nothing obvious in
the
I am letting samba grab the printer out of the /etc/printcap file.

I have read references to making sure your samba spool directory has the correct perms,
and mine is word writable.
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root         4096 Sep 18 21:59 /var/spool/samba//

Any ideas? Trouble shooting suggestions welcome. :)

Anything I should check? Permissions etc?

Thanks in advance.

Terrence