[Samba] Samba Log file format

Carl B. Constantine cconstan at csc.UVic.CA
Wed Sep 18 18:43:01 GMT 2002

The samba log files leave something to be desired in both format and
management. I'd like to propose a change if I could.

Format:

Previously, a log entry is cut with date and timestamp and action on a
SINGLE line. Now the date and timestamp is on a separate line from the
information that you'd look for in a log file (machine name, ip address,
connection status for service, etc.) This is really awkward when you are
searching log files for information. You can't use standard tools very
easily. I'm using a custom perl script myself.

The logs in 2.2.* are not very UNIX like at all. They seem more geared
to the programmer, and not the admin. A Programmer version of a log is
fine to send back to the samba team for debugging, but the admin should
be kept in mind when writting log output.

Management:

It would be nice if samba gave up management of the logs to syslog and
the like. syslog could then control WHEN logs should roll over, where
they are stored, and so forth. Samaba should not be controlling this at
all.

It would also be nice to have the flexability to have samba produce a
single log for all machines connecting to the samba server instead of or
as well as separate log.netbiosname files.

any comments?

--
Carl B. Constantine         University of Victoria
Programmer Analyst          http://www.uvic.ca