[Samba] smbmount?

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Sep 18 18:40:01 GMT 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, John Anderson wrote:

> Thanks, that made it work.
>
> Quick question, I am mounting a remote NT folder.   I tried passing username
> and password in the smbmount command line, but it still asked fore a
> password.

You probably didn't set both, like this:  username=a,password=b

> I have 1 user on the remote end and about 12 users locally (logging into an
> NT domain).  How do I setup the users so they can map the drive on the
> Windows side.

This depends on what you want to do. One smbfs mount acts to the server as
one NT user (the one you give username/password for).

If it's ok for all 12 to share permissions then you can do like this. If
you want each local user to have different permission on the server, then
you need one NT user for each (and one mount for each, possibly with the
help of autofs or making smbmnt setuid root).

> For example, when I tried to map the drive, using my standard username /
> pass windows came back and said "The network folder specified is currently
> mapped using a different username and password.  The mapped network drive
> could not be created because the following error has occurred:  The
> credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials".  I tried
> the user/pass for the remote nt system (the same I used to authenticate
> with) and I got the same error.

Don't know what this is.

/Urban